Sunday, June 26, 2016

Day 3: Dosewallips to Olympia. Trip total: 367.7km

Today started a little later than usual, but I managed to get on the road by 7am. As the heat turned out to be an issue later in the day, I'm going to try to stick to a 6am departure tomorrow - it's gonna be a scorcher!

Today's ride took me along the coast of Oyster Bay and Eld Inlet on my way to Olympia, but as the guidebook lamented, you barely catch a glimpse of either body of water through the foliage. I certainly didn't mind. Riding through a thick canopy of trees protecting me from the blazing sun was an ideal and picturesque ride.

I arrived past Olympia at the American Heritage Campground where I'll be spending the night. I'm happy to give a shout out to this campsite because when I arrived I casually asked about campsites heading west toward the coast. It seemed to me that they were few and far between, making my next couple days rides inconsistent (68km and 164km).

A couple hours later the staff tracked me down and located a campsite (without a website, or clearly defined tent camping), but managed to get someone on the phone who confirmed that I could camp there. The kicker - it's 90km away, making the subsequent day's ride only 142km instead of 164km. Thanks guys!

Two crows seeing me off in the morning

Leaving Dosewallips

Trees protecting me from the sun


Oyster Bay

My stop for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment