Friday, July 15, 2016

Day 20: Morro Bay to Lompoc. Trip total: 2376km

We need these signs in Toronto

I moved inland from the coast today and left behind the fog - for now. It was refreshing to have sunshine and flat roads for the morning portion of my ride. The only hiccup was when I decided to second-guess google and take a shortcut which resulted in me scaling the only mountain in sight, otherwise I might as well have been on a track for the first 100km.

After lunch I had a 900ft climb into Lompoc, but it was right at the end of my ride so I didn't mind.

As an aside, you might have noticed that I'm a terrible tourist. For me, going on long bike tours is primarily about setting a target and seeing if I can reach it. I enjoy the physical challenge and transformation that takes place, the mental cleansing from the solitude, and taking in what the trip presents. I almost never go out of my way to hit a landmark or check out an attraction, I'm happy to absorb my surroundings as they unfold.

I mention this because I've been getting a bunch of suggestions about places to see and things to check out, and I'm probably not going to do any of them. This might make for a boring way to travel for some, but for me it's been immensely satisfying.

So, I hope you enjoy these pics from another day where nothing particularly interesting happened -

Breakfast of champions before leaving Morro Bay

The missing apostrophe was one of a few things I found disturbing about this sign. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't take a detour to see what this was all about.

My view for most of the day

1/3 of the way up my one big climb for the day

No comments:

Post a Comment